我的相片
名稱:
位置: Singapore

Not you.

星期二, 1月 17, 2006

Don't kill me with your song

I was invited to a karaoke session organised by the Purchasing Manager. I was puzzled why was I joining the purchasing department’s team building.

Well anyway, I believe this is not important.

PartyWorld. It was a pity that I did not take any pictures. Anyway I was not supposed to take any pictures within the premises.

PartyWorld is f**king MASSIVE. It is a four storied building filled with numerous karaoke “pigeon holes”. The package throws in an all-u-can-eat-n-drink buffet as well. (sorry no such thing as all-u-can-sing)

Anyway, I have always been very curious what kinda songs my Shanghai colleagues listen and sing. I apologise for my ignorance and stereotypical view of them listening only to patriotic songs.

Picture this...... a row of Chinese standing side-by-side with their right arm raised across their chest singing ....

“RU GUO SHI ZHE YANG . .NI BU YAO BEI AI.. GONG HE GUO DE TU DI SHANG YOU WO MEN XUE RAN DE FENG CAI…....." This is a very popular song among the chinese - (Blood-stained Honor??)

Also....high-pitched-opera-like songs that describe mountains and rivers……Aiks. The thought of them singing these songs makes me cringed so hard. I cannot possibly imagine, if I am going to sit through the entire karaoke session filled with these songs… No offence to my Shanghai colleagues .. but these songs are simply not my cuppa tea.

As I stepped into the room with curiosity, I was quickly overwhelmed with strange looks. I can hardly see any familiar faces except Li Shi Fu, my company chauffeur. As expected ….the usual cliché awkwardness sinked in. After a round of introduction ( honestly, I can’t be bothered to remember their names as I already know I am lousy at remembering names), we started choosing songs

I was proven wrong .....no bloody honour…. no songs about mountains and rivers…

all the songs chosen were almost the cliché commercial junks that are played to death over the radio and in channel [V] e.g. “LAO SHU AI DA MI” {mouse likes rice} n “TONG HUA” {fairy tales}

WTF.

The most important thing I have had learnt in this karaoke session was the ART of Choosing Songs and their CULTURE of Choosing Songs for others. I hope I have had not offended anyone of them.

So what’s the big deal of this Chinese Karaoke Culture.

The Chinese Karaoke Culture is somehow strongly related to Food. Yes. Food! Let me explain.

We, Chinese are a bunch of very thoughtful people. We believe strongly in community as opposed to the western beliefs of individualism. So, when it comes to food ordering, the host will have to crack his/her brains to order food that caters to everyone, unlike the westerners who believe in ordering their own food.

It is also very common for them to recommend u some of their favorite dishes and insist u trying. This act is also commonly known as proposing a toast over the dinner table.

I have learnt that proposing a toast does not limit to alcohol… toasting includes food as well... and in this case ...KARAOKE SONGS too!!! All thanks to Li Shi Fu imparting this knowledge to me.

I was toasted with songs by Jay Chou, David Tao, JJ. I knew I am only capable of scaling the high notes when my balls are squeezed. I kindly turn down the offer as there is no way that I am squeezing my balls

Wally, the purchasing manager came late. The nightmare begins when he started to sing songs by “DAO LANG” ( a very famous singer) ..yeah.....songs about mountains, rivers, snow, clouds, I cringed so hard. (* x *). Luckily we had only 30 minutes left

As expected, I have always impressed friends, friends’ friends, and strangers with my melancholic songs. I was even asked to perform in the company’s CNY DnD.

Now that’s another interesting thing to explore. CNY DnD in Shanghai…..…

0 個意見:

張貼留言

訂閱 張貼留言 [Atom]

<< 首頁